Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Comforting Pasta Fazool


This past weekend we tried a pasta fazool (pasta and bean soup) recipe that turned out quite tasty. It was delightful comfort food. I had gotten the recipe years ago from my good friend Sharon (at least I think that is where I got it) but I had never tried it.

As soon as I gathered the ingredients, I felt certain it'd be tasty- so I took a picture and continued to take pictures while the house filled with the amazing aroma of the soup.


Pasta Fazool

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 pd prosciutoo di Parma, cut into medium dice (double-smoke bacon or italian sausage can be substituted)
1 small carrot, peeled and diced small
1 small spanish onion, peeled diced small
1 stalk celery, diced small
2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
Coarse salt
freshly ground pepper
1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
1 quart store bought, reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 quart water
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled
One 1 pound 13 ouce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup dried ditalini pasta, cooked and drained (I didn't cook and drain it. I just cooked it in the soup.)


1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the prosciutto and cook, stirring, until the prosciutto begins to render it's fat (about 5 minutes).

2. Add the carrot, onion, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and peper and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste, stir to coat the other ingredients, and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the broth, water, and potatoes. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are very soft (a sharp knife should easily pierce their center, about 20 minutes.
5. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer the potatoes to a bowl. Mash the potatoes with a masher or large fork.
6. Return the mashed potatoes to the pot and stir them into the soup. (If making this for another day, let the soup cool, cover and store in the refrigerator or freeze up to one month. Then reheat before continuing with the rest of the recipe.)
7. Add beans and pasta. Cool over medium heat until the beans are warmed through, about five minuets. Stir in the rosemary, crushed red pepper, and cheese.
8. To serve, ladle some soup in bowls. *Top with some more cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. *We forgot to top it with cheese and olive oil and I really don't think it needed it.

My husband and I devoured our bowls of soup. Remarkably, all four of my kids enjoyed the soup, too. I did heat up extra broth, which I added to two of the kids bowls (One doesn't like potatoes and the other is picky about textures.)

Stop by Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday to check out more tasty recipes.

Pin It

4 comments:

Cinderella said...

That pasta soup with potatoes and beans sounds and looks really really really good! Yumm. No wonder you both enjoyed it so much!

Happy Tuesday to you:)

Alicia The Snowflake said...

This looks yummy! And my guys love this kind of soup. So I will definitely have to make it. Thanks for sharing! And I loved your pics ;)

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Yum! It looks so good! I am pinning it! Angie xo

Foursons said...

It looks really good! I love that kind of pasta too. My MIL used to make a pasta and peas dish. The only time I ever ate peas was when she made that meal.