Monday, November 02, 2009

Pen, Paper, and Honeycombs: Expressions of Gratitude

I cannot believe that it is November. October went by too fast for me. I did not get everything done that I had planned. Now that it's November I am thinking about the holidays. We have many fun things planned. I am getting excited about my parents visiting. I cannot believe my daughter is going to be two this month. We are planning a trip to the Oregon Coast. I am also thinking about celebrating Thanksgiving this month.

I don't want to miss Thanksgiving. Commercially, it gets overlooked. I don't want my hurried life keep me from taking time to be thankful. I don't want my fast pace to stop me from considering my blessings. I don't want to simply say Grace on Thanksgiving. I don't want scramble to find a few moments on Thanksgiving to find the thankful spot in my heart.

I have decided to celebrate Thanksgiving all month long.

My tools: my pen, my paper, and my words of gratitude.

I am writing letters expressing my thankfulness. I want those that are dear to me to know that I love them. I love them and I am thankful for them. I need to tell them what I appreciate. I have to take it a step further. I appreciate. I am thankful. I thank God for them specifically in my prayers.

This month, I will write thankful letters. I will write and I will pray prayers of thanksgiving, expressing my gratitude to God - the very gratitude that I will express in my letters.


Some of my loved ones know that I love them. They may know that I appreciate them. Even so, I hope they will be touched by my words. Some of my loved ones, don't know I count them as a loved one. They are my friends but they do not realize how dear they are to me. I hope my words will be sweet to their soul.

Think about taking time to write a letter to someone that is dear to you. Pray through your words, thanking God for your loved one. Your gracious words will be powerful.


"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."
Proverbs 16:24

10 comments:

TheFitHousewife said...

What a great idea. The art of letter writing has been lost with the convenience of email and texting! I always make sure that my kids and I write thank-you notes when we receive something but you are right, we can write notes of gratitude anytime!

Macey said...

I'm assuming you're going alphabetically, so I'll expect my letter in a couple weeks. :)
Just kidding. So, if your daughter is going to be 2, I think it's time for another!

He & Me + 3 said...

Jane Anne,

This is a wonderful idea. You are so thoughtful and allow God to use you and your words for His glory. Keep writing my friend. You encourage me.
Hugs,
Mimi

Missy said...

What a fabulous idea. You constantly amaze me at your thoughtfulness and your big heart.

Make sure you stop my blog for a little surprise.

Jen said...

I love it - what a wonderful idea. You're right, Thanksgiving just gets jammed in between Halloween and Christmas. Last year I went to Michaels looking for fall sprinkles the DAY AFTER Halloween. Not a leaf-shaped sprinkle to be found, but I had my choice of any number of Christmas ones. So often here at our house it ends up being just another day in a long weekend with crazy kids.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

What a lovely idea. I used to love writing letters - getting beautiful stationary and putting pen to paper.

Carmom said...

What a great way to express you love and happiness! And it will be somethings that can be cherished by those you love and who love you as well.

Pam said...

I love this, Jane Anne! Your idea is a fabulous one, and I am not one bit surprised that you came up with it.

May the Lord bless your efforts and cause you to reconnect with people God has placed in your life.

I may need to do this too!

RLR said...

This is such a lovely idea! I'm catching up on your blog, and always look forward to your Thursday Thanks posts. Enjoy the month! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday - I love this time of year!

Deborah Ann said...

Missy recommended your site, thought I'd check it out. I like it! Consider me 'on board.'