Thursday, April 02, 2009
Thursday Thanks Tank #81
Thank you for stopping by. My hope is that my thankful list prompts you to spend time being thankful. This Thanks Tank list that I make each week keeps me grounded in gratitude.
I am thankful for:
1. My son's excitement about his faith. My oldest son was baptized on Sunday. This was a special day for him, as well as our whole family.
Here's a cropped picture of him at the very end of the baptism. Check out the link for more pictures.
2. Lessons in unselfishness. I am thankful that this week I had the opportunity to see the benefits of giving to others. I often succumb to the deception that I will enjoy my treasures more if I cling to them. I learned that giving of my heart can make treasures even more meaningful.
3. Playdates for my kids. My kids have played with kids from 3 different families this week. Wow- they have had lots of fun! I am thankful for the playdates and that the kids all got along well.
4. Honesty. Someone was brutally honest with me this week. It felt brutal. They were right. I was wrong. I am thankful for the honesty. Sometimes, I tend to hide what I think to avoid conflict. I am thankful for the honesty of friends and how that helps me grow.
5. Family that misses me. My extended family has made it clear that they miss me. I am thankful that I am loved and missed. I am thankful that they love me so much even though we are miles and miles apart.
6. Books. I finished a couple of books this week. I have enjoyed a few quiet nights reading. I liked the smiles my husband and I gave each other as we were reading in two separate spots in the family room.
7. Changes in Perspective. Yesterday I spent much the day feeling a bit down. There were several reasons for my mood. One little thing that was affecting me was the cloudy, rainy weather that is pretty constant here. Then, last night, I went for a brisk walk in the wind and drizzle. Suddenly, the raindrops and wind felt refreshing. The blowing clouds were impressive. I gained a new perspective on the grayness that lives outside my window.
8. Pretend play. I am thankful for pretend play. I love watching and listening to my kids play. They love to dress up. We have been having a lot of dress up days this week. Here are a couple of pictures (which were actually from a week or so ago).
9. Being witness to the power of a servant's heart. I am keenly aware of how one decision can be powerful. A few years ago when my husband was deployed, a friend gave me an incredible gift. My sister was touched by the gift and decided to serve a friend in the same way. Now I am passing on the gift to a friend where I live! What's more, I found out yesterday that my sister started a ministry as an operation of her MOPS group. They are blessing 6 military spouses right now! Three years ago, my friend made a decision to act. Her love is now blessing people all over this country. I am thankful for her (beyond words) and I am thankful for the stark reminder that taking action can make a difference in ways you cannot even imagine.