Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thursday Thanks Tank #22



This is such a busy time of year! I have been struggling to feel thankful. I am thankful for many, many things but I haven't been feeling it, if that makes sense. I have been trying to concentrate on how thankful I am for Christmas. This is one of my favorite times of the year. I have to admit that I have been mostly just feeling worn out. It may be the busyness or the fact that I am way behind on everything or just the fact that I am on the new baby sleep schedule. As always, writing my list uplifted my spirit. I hope it stirs your heart, too.

Here's what was on my heart tonight:

1. Gingerbread lattes. I have not been getting them often enough (as I mentioned to my hubby tonight—they only come around once a year!). However, I had the pleasure of running out tonight and the latte was wonderful.
2. Visiting Family. My in-laws were just here visiting. They don’t get to visit very often. It was really nice having them in our home. I enjoyed seeing them play with the kids and hold Elsie…and I just really enjoyed their company. We are so thankful that both sets of our parents were able to visit us during this crazy time of year.
3. Christmas Choir programs. Jonathan’s school music program was last night. He was very cute and excited about the program. I enjoyed watching him but I also enjoyed seeing all of the families being excited for their kids. We made a family outing out of watching the program, which was quite a feat with the late program (7-8 p.m.) and a 4 yr old, 2 yr old and 3 week old. I was thankful to be there together because I know it meant a lot to Jonathan.
4. MOPS meals. My MOPS group is bringing my family meals. I enjoyed this MOPS tradition when 2 of my boys were born and it is a blessing again. They even worked the meals around our company—bringing us meals in-between grandparent visits and now meals after our company left. My house seems to be the craziest the 2 hours before dinner. It is very helpful right now not to have to cook dinner.
5. Baking. Baking fills my heart with joy—and tis the season! Yesterday I made a batch of Snickerdoodles. The day before I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Tomorrow I am making Pumpkin bread. I am planning on trying some new recipes, too, and I have been having fun looking through a new holiday cookbook.
6. My mother-in-law’s southern cooking. The last night before she left she made me chicken and dumplins (veggies as side dishes) and banana pudding for dessert. It was incredible. (How many of you are chicken and dumplin fans? AND, do you like your banana pudding warm –right out of the oven- or cold?)
7. Christmas cards. This is really one of my favorite things. I love getting mail, anyway, and getting Christmas cards is just simply wonderful.

By the way, my Thursday Thanks Tank was inspired by Pam over at Without Fear. Take some time to make your own Thankful list. I'd love to hear what you are thankful for!

4 comments:

Carmom said...

What a great list. I to have found it hard to be thankful though there are many things I am thanksful for. I also enjoyed the MOPS meals and they also worked around our holiday visitors schedule. I like my banana pudding anyway I can get it!

breaking free said...

mmmm, I know that Regina makes Mimi's banana pudding. Its sooo good! I'm jealous!!

Kimberly said...

I'm sure that Keith would say he hopes one of your favorite places to go after baking Snickerdoodles is the Post Office! (Hee,hee,hee!)
I would love to have southern chicken and dumplings. I can remember having them once when I was about 7 and I thought they were WONDERFUL. Haven't had them since.
BTW . . . banana's are yucky! ;}
That's wonderful that Jonathan's school still has a christmas/music program. Most schools around here don't unless they are a private/christian school.

We really, really miss you guys!

Unknown said...

I love chicken and dumplings. :) Yummy. Ah Janey Jane...Things have been so hectic that I just realized Bama and CU are playing each other in a bowl game! Why o' why are they pitting us against each other??? ;)